Sunday, July 19, 2009

Scout Camp

Last Thursday, Friday, and part of Saturday I had the opportunity to attend Scout Camp with my boys in the Deacons quorum. I couldn’t get away from work for the whole week so I was there for just two and a half days. It was at Camp Easton which is on Lake Coeur d’Alene in Idaho. It is a beautiful camp with tons of fun activities.

I will have a sidebar now to talk about the last time I visited Camp Easton. It was when I was 12 years old and it was my first scout camp. I had a great time but at the end of the week the whole troop was called into the mess hall. No one was allowed to talk to each other. I didn’t know what was going on. My dad was the Bishop at the time and he was at camp and was doing some interviews. I went into the room and they asked me if I knew what was going on. I said I had no idea what this was all about to which I was told that the others said I was not involved. Well, it turns out that one of the boys had been stealing credit cards, pocket knives and other items from other troops and their leaders. There were also some other boys involved in some vandalism. What a mess. Needless to say, our troop was banned from attending Camp Easton.

Back to the present. The boys had a blast. They all earned three merit badges and three partials. We had combined with another ward/troop because we only had 4 boys in our Deacon’s Quorum. Well, we challenged the camp staff to a game of Ultimate Frisbee. We ended up playing 5 games over two days. We won all five! The boys loved it.

The worst part of the camp was the heat. It was so hot! I took a nap in my tent one afternoon and woke up with big sweat spots on the top of my sleeping bag. It was a good thing that they had lots of water activities. I am glad the boys had such a good time.

As for me, I had a good time too, but I really missed Whit and Justin. Justin rolled over for the first time while I was gone. Both front to back and back to front. He has become really drooly these last few days. We think he is starting to cut teeth. Well, that is it for now. Here are some pics of the view at camp.



1 comment:

Amy said...

Scout camp. I loved Girl Scout camp. Was it better as a leader?