Thursday, November 6, 2008

5 things I miss (and don't miss) about Utah

Whitney made a post about this a few weeks back and I thought I would do the same. Only I don't know that I could come up with 10 things so I went with 5. Most of my friends know that I never wanted to live in Utah for any long period of time. But now that I lived there for 6 years and have moved away, I have found that there are some things that I miss. Here we go!

What I miss:
1. Living in a college town. I loved living right next to BYU. There always seemed to be things going on and places to go. It is a different atmosphere. Along with this comes college sports. This is related to #1. Game days are awesome. There is excitement in the air and I love going to the games.
2. KSL. It was just fun to watch (or listen) their news broadcasts. They are just more professional than the news casters I have seen.
3. Utah Jazz. I am a basketball nut and I loved being able to listen or watch all of the Jazz games. I was a Sonics fan growing up and hated the Jazz, but I grew to like them a lot.
4. In-laws. As strange as it sounds to some people, I love my in-laws. They have been so good to me and I love being with them.
5. Friends. Whit and I made so many friends and I miss them. It was fun to have people to talk to and spend time with that are in the same stage of life as you. I know that everyone will move away, but I will keep in touch. I suppose that this also includes the friends that I made working at the bindery. We had good times and I miss them too.

Don't Miss:
1. Crazy and impolite drivers. It is nice to have people who let you in when you put on your signal, enough said.
2. Insincerity. I told lots of people that I would get a feeling of insincerity from some of the members of the Church. It just felt like some people did things just for the appearance rather than because it was the right thing to do. Let me emphasize that it was not everyone. I guess I grew up in a community with a lot of really sincere and good people both members and non-members.
3. Having no money. This really had to do with being a student more than living in Utah, but because I was in Utah when I was a student I think it applies. While I have more expenses and responsibility now, it is just nice to have greater income and being paying off the debt.
4. Inversion. It was terrible at times. I really didn't have much of that where I grew up. It would just get so nasty, eeeewwww!
5. High food prices. My dad was a farmer and I grew up in an agricultural area. The food prices were significantly lower. And not only that, Washington does not have sales tax on groceries.

So there you go, hope you enjoy.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

It makes me so happy that you miss UT! Maybe you can move back with me someday!

Spencer T said...

one of the things that i miss about Utah is you guys...and i'm still here!

Kelly said...

Whitney's comment is hilarious. We miss y'all so much! I love that we were neighbors and can't figure out why we didn't start hanging out sooner!!! I'm glad you are doing well!

Stephanie said...

Utah is a great place to live, and so is Washington. I just wish we could all live closer together.